Thursday, February 15, 2007

Standing up to the transport police

Today after I had lunch with Jules I leapt on a bus to come home and swiped my Oyster across the pad. The bus driver called me back as I hadn't had quite enough money on it and I hadn't noticed. So I got out a £10 note to give him and he said 'NO, you can buy tickets at that machine out there.'

Me: OK - are you going to wait for me?
Him: I can't wait - look at the traffic.
Me: Well, I'm not getting off then.

I went and sat down and my heart was pounding like crazy. I thought - I've done something illegal, I'm going to be kicked off the bus, there'll be a fine - what will my parents say?

Three stops down the road I realised that you CAN still buy bus tickets with cash, but the driver was just too lazy to cash my £10 note. So now I'm feeling very proud that I stood up for myself for once and didn't let the public transport nazis intimidate me. OK, so I thought I was committing a crime, but I did it very assertively!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be the day for it. Stephen was almost crushed by a truck while riding home from work on his bike last night. He was just going round the roundabout by the gardens.He rang the council and they said the bumps in the roundabout were to deter boy racers. Am I to infer that deterring hoons is more important that keeping cyclists alive???

Rachel Matheson said...

Hope he has a reflective vest and good lights for the winter!