Friday, January 26, 2007

As if we didn't know we have too many stairs...

Yesterday I missed the last step before the roof terrace, and in an effort not to fall on Bump, I did myself an injury instead. Turns out to be just a badly sprained ankle, but I spent a fun hour and a half at A & E being prodded and x-rayed, and worrying about how I would manage to give birth with a fractured metatarsal.

The most worrying bit was when I overheard the charge nurse saying to a junior: 'Go up to the first floor and see if they've got any crutches. We haven't got any left, and if we get any broken legs tonight we'll just have to discharge them at this rate.' Very reassuring.

Still, I did eventually get a nice leaflet about what to do about a sprained ankle and I got a taxi called for me to go home in, so I can't complain too much. Admittedly I had to hop along to the lifts and go up to the ground floor where the guy who calls taxis is as the A & E reception desk staff wouldn't call one themselves but hey...

Anyway, one packet of frozen corn and a restful evening ordering Jules about from the couch later, it is much improved. Had to sleep downstairs last night but managed the stairs this morning to loll in the sun on our bed.

It's forecast to be 18 degrees this weekend and the sun is streaming in. We've cancelled our house hunting trip to south-east London and we're enjoying the novelty of a free Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! Had a fall myself tripping over the builder's cord at school and landing in a very undignified heap on the paving stones - one grazed and bruised elbow,cut knee and deck impression, lumpy bruise to the thigh - a bit like having a dead leg! Harold went out in sympathy and caught his foot while climbing over a wire fence, fell flat on his back and winded himself. We wondered who the third person would be . . . I wonder if the same thing works with lotto tickets and scratchies.