Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mission accomplished


Pinata action shot, originally uploaded by Racmol.

Well, we survived birthday season, although some might argue only just!

It would have helped if the oven hadn't died on Friday. And if Jules hadn't had the flu this weekend. And if this morning's sun hadn't been replaced with pouring rain by 2pm.

Special thanks to:

Antonio and Angharad (downstairs neighbours) for the use of their oven to bake the dinosaur cake. They even left out nibbles and a glass of wine for me!

Auntie Chrissie for conceptual and design work on the castle cake.

Sainsbury's for the slabs of angel cake that got stuck together to make the princess castle.

Alison for icing and decorating the damn thing, at the venue, at the last minute.

Sarah for general cheerful kitchen help, laying out trays of food, pouring drinks, chopping vegetables and even finding time to joke about whether we wanted them as batons and julienned!

Jules for wrapping half the party favour books and standing in one spot holding the pinata for ages and ages, despite having the flu. Also general childminding and finding suitable outlets for Willy's urge to bash.

(A side point - say what you will about Party Pieces, the internet business owned by Kate Middleton's parents, but they do make a nigh-on indestructible pinata for £12, which provided a good half hour of entertainment. In the end I gather it was wrestled to the floor and disembowelled to release the chocolate coins.

Photos are all up on flickr. I would say I was very proud of the castle cake but in the end my involvement was minimal. I iced and decorated the turrets and Alison did everything else.

Thank God for good friends! On that note, I'll go to bed.

2 comments:

Hester said...

When I first saw that photo on Flickr, I thought the orange dinosaur was a particularly cleverly costumed small child....

Jennnifer said...

I THINK IT KINDA LOOKS LIKE TUG OF WAR


smiles