Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Family holiday in Mallorca receives mixed reviews (Part One)

Well, we all survived a week of family togetherness in the old town of Pollenca in the north of Mallorca, although some would argue only just!

We may as well just be honest about this up front - there were some bad moments. In retrospect, when you get stuck driving up the incredibly narrow Calle de Porquer and you realise it's a dead end, the best option is probably NOT to continue driving ACROSS the town's trademark cobbled Calvari steps into a driveway that turns out to be too small to turn around in without scraping the front of the car and destroying a tyre. Luckily a very helpful resident of Calle de Porquer (looking like he'd seen it all before) and his mechanic friend came to our aid and the ordeal was over in an hour or so.

As I was saying, hindsight is a wonderful thing. When I booked the house we were staying in, my main concern was to make sure the pool was well separated from the house, as Europeans don't believe in fencing swimming pools - and it was, being at the top of a section that cascaded steeply down the hill with the house at the bottom. Next time I will ask some more searching questions, such as:
Are there a million steep stone steps on the section with vertical drops off the side and no rails of any kind?
Do you have random glass vases full of dried flowers on the landing half way up your marble staircase? (And if so, WHY? What were you thinking?)

We didn't actually break the glass vase standing on the floor of the landing and nobody fell to their death off the side of the steps, but Jules broke the handle of the freezer door and Willy broke a blue glass bowl, the ceramic base of a bedside lamp and (although this might have been a coincidence) the volume control of the satelllite tv. This probably sounds like reckless vandalism, but actually the freezer door formed a vacuum seal of incredible strength, Willy grabbed the glass bowl off a high shelf while I was holding him and reaching for the remote control for the fan, and he broke the lamp while I was brushing my teeth in the next room. I was happy enough to see him leave the room as the last time he'd been in the bathroom with me he had turned the bidet jet on full and sent a flood of water out into the hallway and then slipped over in it and howled.

I slightly lost patience with the landlady when she came to sort out the satellite tv while we were out (after we'd reported our long list of breakages) and left a large fake Ming dynasty type vase on a low table in the living room, as if she was daring us to break that too!

That probably seems like rather a long moan, and I haven't even got to the liquid poo incidents (one in our bed and one in a restaurant).

And then there was Black Tuesday (or possibly Wednesday, I forget which). When I finally got to bed after the bloodcurdling screams had stopped (17 renditions of Puff the Magic Dragon later), Jules rolled over, yawned and said: 'They're horrible. I don't like them and they've ruined my life.'

Part Two will be the highlights (yes, there were some!), and of course the full details of the liquid poo, which I know you are all anxious to hear more about.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Your post has cheered up another wet Wednesday in Wellington no end. Nothing like a tale featuring suffering and liquid poo to lighten the mood! Fab photos, by the way. Sofia steps out has overtones of Sarah Jessica Parker and Fia and William on the Formentor peninsula is very famous five - pale English children in stripy shirts meet the great outdoors.

Dadster said...

We have memories of exploding babies and vomiting children in a restaurant on one of our early excursions to Hong Kong; so it is nice to know that the universe has this way of self correction :)

Dadster said...

I also seem to remember that Sue's mum used to move everything to higher ground when Julzie visited - he was a toddler at the time - I understand that he actually did break something or things but I have never be sure of exactly what... but it is still mentioned from time to time by his mum. :)

Anonymous said...

My friend's baby vomited into my mouth in Cafe Rouge, Greenwich. I'd never tasted breast milk until that point.

Fia and William as adorable as ever.

Matt

(new baby - Tinkerbell, ginger kitten)