Monday, February 06, 2006

Camels 2, hissy fits 1

Just a quick hello as we are off for dinner soon and the computers are too ancient to talk to the camera so no piccies today.

We caught the overnight train from Cairo to Aswan last night - very civilised, individual sleeping cabins for two people. Today we took a boat over to Elephantine Island and then went on a camel ride out past St Simeon's Monastery in the desert. My first camel refused point blank to carry me - locked its knees and growled and spat. It took ages before the camel driver could even get it to sit down so I could get off, but the second camel was much better behaved. Still don't think it's a preferred mode of transport though - was kept far too busy hanging on to take pictures.

Yesterday we were out at Giza visiting the pyramids and the sphinx. I hate to say it, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole experience. I guess once you've seen the image 50,000 times already in your life, you get there and it looks just like you'd expect. Plus the sphinx is much smaller than you'd think.

Anyway, the weather is lovely - just pleasantly warm. And nobody has got sick yet...

No comments: