Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Nike RunLondon 10k - a walk in the park

Weird. The Nike 10k was a joy to participate in, not the ordeal I was expecting.

Vital statistics (unofficial as both times need about 2 minutes 30 taken off them because it took a while to reach the start line):
Jules: 52 min 43
Me: 1 hour 4 min 54

We were both quite chuffed. I was aiming for under 70 minutes and Jules was going for under an hour.

It was a gorgeous sunny morning in Hyde Park. There were two jazz bands to run past. An unexpected highlight - I was running along beside the barrier when I noticed someone coming at speed towards me on the other side (i.e. leading the race). It was some random not-famous guy in the lead, so I thought I must have missed Paula Radcliffe. But then I could see her coming towards me down a long straight stretch with that distinctive head-bobbing run. I swear she was flying - it was just like when you pass a speeding car. Whooosh - and she's gone.

Tomorrow the official times (done by the microchip you attach to your shoelaces) should be up on the site. Jules is hanging out for a sub-50m time now.

All in all, I found it not too bad at all. I took the nano and played my carefully selected running playlist, which is all upbeat fast songs, and having music to run to definitely helped.

Then we had a champagne brunch on the roof terrace in the sun with Kirsty and Simon. Another fabulous day in the best city in the world :-D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What's next? Half marathon next year?

Anonymous said...

I also would have happily run the race in under an hour with the promise of a Champagne brunch on the terrace afterewards!!!!!!!! What other incentive does one need to make a fool of oneself in the special flab enhancing t-shirts that we saw on the video feed of the race finish.

However having said that... WELL DONE!! You really have acheived something! I am envious... Can't you tell!